Monday, November 4, 2013

Week 3 - Authors, Freshers' Flu, and A Rough Tutorial

Week Three at Oxford brought some welcome and unwelcome experiences.  Sunday afternoon I attended the last day of the Magical Books exhibit being held at the Bodleian Library.  It featured the works of fantasy authors from medieval times to the present.  Original manuscripts were provided, along with sketches, maps, and memorabilia.  It was quite enjoyable for me - especially since it featured work by C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien, two of my favorite authors.  I'd share pictures, but due to the fragility of many of the items, photography was not permitted.  One thing I did find surprising - the illustrations that were personally done by Tolkien and Lewis; I didn't know they were both such talented artists.

Monday was spent attending a lecture, and finalizing some amendments to my previous social policy essay.  Monday night I attended choir practice again, and Evensong service at the Christ Church Cathedral.  After the service, we ate dinner at the college dining hall, pictured below.  It is a really large room, and difficult to capture using an Iphone camera (while simultaneously trying NOT to look like a gawking American tourist).  The walls are lined with amazing portraiture of British historical figures.  See Henry VIII, just under the window?


Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday were full of reading, research, and writing for my next political sociology essay due on Thursday afternoon.  The theme was civic culture and political capital.  The readings were complex, and involved a lot of theory.  Therefore, I enjoyed a lot of coffee :) 
 
What I did NOT enjoy was catching a version of "freshers' flu."  Apparently it is not atypical for new students to get a bad cold/flu during their first term.  I don't know if it's the exposure to all the damp weather we're not accustomed to, or the heavy work pace I've kept up, but either way, as the week progressed I was not feeling good.  I hit the Holland and Barrett health food store in Summertown for extra vitamins, followed by a visit to M & S for chicken soup.  Ugh.

Friday was my third tutorial with Dr. Finlay.  Sadly, he felt my essay material did not cover both sides of the argument in a thorough manner.  Which brings me to another nuance of the tutorial method: tutorials, and tutors, are not alike.  Both of my tutors have different preferences about how they want the material presented, about what approach I should take with the research, and how I should construct my essays.  Talking with other students, British and internationals alike, we all agree on this; tutorial methodology is very subjective and often is shaped by the personality of the tutor.  So if you plan on studying at Oxford, be prepared for this. As an American, I'm used to having details laid out in a lengthy syllabus at the start of each term, giving me the expectations for the work during the course.  The Oxford syllabi I've received generally include a reading list, and perhaps some information on what font to use, when to submit your essay, etc.  But how you tackle your material and present your argument will be determined by the individualized interaction between you and each of your tutors. 
 
Saturday several of us took the bus into Headington to tour the Kilns, the home of C.S. Lewis for 33 years.  We spent about two hours learning about his life there, his personality, and the unique marriage he had with his wife Joy.  Pictured below, the front of the home.



Pictured on the left is the "common room" which at one time held C.S. Lewis's collection of over 3000 books.
 




Pictured to the right, is the typewriter of Lewis's brother, Warnie.  Lewis did not type himself, but instead would write his books out long-hand, and Warnie would type them out using two-fingered typing.  Hard to imagine all of those incredible novels being produced on such a tiny machine! 

Pictured below is the original sign that hung over the Eagle and Child pub in Oxford, when Tolkien and Lewis met there with the "Inklings" club.  The pub has since been franchised to a chain (!), and during one of the renovations, the sign was removed and set into the rubbish bin.  A friend of the family happened by and asked if he could purchase it, and he did, for £10.  Then he arranged for the sign to be placed at the Kilns. 

 
OK, I couldn't resist wondering, when I saw this, whether or not Tolkien used it as the inspiration for his scenes that depict the eagles carrying his characters to safety.  It does make one wonder....


So, here are Carrie Ann and I, outside the front of the Kilns.  The property, which at one time included 8 acres (sold off after Lewis's death, and for housing development), also includes a nearby pond.  During Lewis's time at the Kilns, he would often walk around the pond, and even into Oxford to Magdalen College where he worked. 




After our tour, we walked toward Headington, to Holy Trinity Church, where Lewis attended services.  He is laid to rest in the cemetery.  It's a really beautiful place; quite peaceful.



Thus ends Week 3 for me at Oxford.  The longer I'm here, the more I learn about its history, its people, and its personality.  Hopefully, the other students and I are having our own positive impact upon Oxford.  I look forward to tackling another week of academic challenges, as well as discovering something else about this area so rich with cultural heritage.
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear you got sick, but I see you have recovered (from your next post). Isn't Christ Church awe-inspiring?

    Also, great points about the tutorial system!

    ReplyDelete