Thursday, October 3, 2013

Learning the Way Around Town

This blog post will be full of photos of the jaunts around Oxford the first few days here.  The goal: to learn the outlay of the various streets, major landmarks, most commonly needed stores, and of course get my student I.D. at Regent's Park College.

 






 Oxford Covered Market - includes vendors selling local produce, meats, bakery items, and various consumer goods.  It's a labyrinth of shops located between streets near the City Centre.
 Watching the bakery artisans at work.
 
 
 
Blackwell's Book Shop - world renown booksellers. 
 
 
 
Oxford University Press - on Walton Street.  I've spent my fair share of money on books published by Oxford Press over the years!
 
 
 
The Eagle and Child Pub - famous for being the meeting location of the Inklings Club including members J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.
 
 
 
 
The Ashmolean Museum -- which began with a collection dating to the 1620's.
 
Last, but not least - going to the Regent's Park College administration offices to get my university ID card. 
 
 
After viewing all of that, I think I've walked about five miles today.  Time to get some dinner, and rest my feet.  Upcoming this week: touring the Bodleian library.
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment