Saturday, October 26, 2013

Week 2 - Food, Shoes, and Winchester

Week Two had things working toward a routine (I hope!).  Sunday I visited the Summertown farmer's market again.  Sadly, my favorite cheese vendor wasn't there, so I consoled myself with free range eggs and some delicious kale that I cooked up for lunch.  Farmer's markets are big here, and there are several in the Oxford area.  The Summertown market is every Sunday from 10-2 on Banbury Street.  There is also a good market in the Gloucester Green area on Wednesdays/Thursdays. 
 
One thing I did want to mention in this blog, is the great options for food in Oxford.  I eat a gluten-free diet 95% of the time.  One of my main worries about coming here was the availability of gluten-free fare.  But I've been pleasantly surprised at how commonly it is found.  Tesco in City Centre has a good selection of breads and cookies (even some American brands).  M & S in Summertown has fabulous gluten-free bread, crackers, etc., and they label their non-baked items well so you can see if gluten is present.  There is a good health food store in Summertown that carries a variety of products including cereals and pasta.  Regarding restaurants: Mama Mia's in Summertown offers gluten-free pasta dishes.  But my favorite eatery, hands down, is the Organic Deli Café off Friars Entry near City Centre.  They serve the best gluten-free pancake I've ever had in my life! 

 
 
Monday was spent writing all day.  Literally.  Then I went to the Church College Choir practice and Evensong service.  The psalms we chant are beautiful, but let me just say, the way they are written out, with separate musical staffs on the top of the page, and words on the bottom; it takes getting used to.  Thank goodness for the experienced choir members, who are great at giving pointers.
 
Tuesday, I had my second social policy tutorial -- she gave it a big thumbs up!  Hallelujah, because I literally was sweating blood and tears over that thing trying to complete it right up until the deadline to email it to her. 
 
Wednesday was reading and writing for my second political sociology essay, and the regular choir rehearsal.  Thursday was writing and turning in said essay via email.  Which brings me to my next tip for studying in Oxford.
 
Buy. Really. Good. Shoes. And. Socks.  At home, I walk about 3 miles a day for exercise, plus go to the gym a couple of times a week. Anotherwords, I'm in decent shape.  However, since coming here, despite using my wonderful bus pass, there are some places the buses don't go.  I thought I brought good shoes, but now I have achy feet and blisters.  Friday I went and bought some sturdier shoes and industrial strength socks.  I'm hoping my feet will thank me.
 
For those brave souls who don't want to walk everywhere, Oxford is a town addicted to bicycling.  If you can handle the consistent traffic, I say go for it!  Bike tip: get a D-clip lock, and register your bike with the local police once you've gotten the appropriate lights (it's required).  Bike thefts are a problem, so don't spent your $$ on a good bike and then have it get stolen. (Or, get fined by the police for not having the appropriate lights for night use.)

 
Friday afternoon I had my tutorial with Dr. Finlay.  I really enjoy the engagement he brings to the subject we are working on each week.  I think I'm learning more from the discussion than the reading and writing (which I do appreciate, but still).  Friday night was formal hall - black tie.  The Regent's Park kitchen staff outdid themselves with a wonderful dinner of an artichoke salad, beef burgundy, mashed potatoes, and chocolate tart.  It's a good thing I'm doing all this walking, to burn off the calories!
 
Finally... Saturday.  I have been working non-stop for the last two weeks in order to produce four essays of about 11,000 words in total.  So I decided to take today off and visit nearby Winchester. After a 1 1/2 hour train ride, I went to Winchester Cathedral, begun in 1079.  I took too many pictures of the cathedral to post here, but it was really incredible. 

 

Many notable figures are encrypted here, including several bishops, the founders of Corpus Christi and Magdalen Colleges, and Jane Austen.






Afterwards, I fulfilled a dream of mine and visited Chawton House, the location of the Jane Austen Museum, which had been her home.  Words can't describe how enjoyable it is to an ardent Austen fan like myself.  The desk in the photo is her writing desk.
 
Finally, (thanks to a recommendation by a friendly bus driver), I had a to-die-for cream tea at Cassandra's Teas, which is right across the street from the museum.  A perfect ending to a really good week :)


No comments:

Post a Comment