Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Leaving the U.S. and Arriving in Oxford

I spent most of Saturday and Sunday packing and re-packing my two suitcases.  Thanks to Delta's rules, I'm allowed one checked bag weighing under 50#, and one carry-on measuring less than 21".  This seemed like the impossible task!  The sweaters and boots alone seemed to fill the checked bag.  Eventually, I made it under the limit according to my home scale, and I headed to the International Terminal of Hartsfield International Airport in Atlanta.  The updated international wing is fabulous!  Much faster check in time than my previous international flights.  I think it helped that I left Sunday night at 9:50 pm.  There was little tourist traffic or business travel at that time on a Sunday. 
 
Once I arrived at Heathrow, I went through U.K. customs, then caught a bus to Oxford.  It was at the #10 bus stop of Terminal 5.  Due to the volume of incoming Oxford students, I ended up waiting in a line ("queu") of people who also waited through the coming and going of two buses before the third bus finally had enough space to accommodate us. 

 
(Photos taken on bus going to Oxford)

Once I arrived at Heathrow, I went through U.K. customs, then caught a bus to Oxford.  It was at the #10 bus stop of Terminal 5.  Due to the volume of incoming Oxford students, I ended up waiting in a line ("queu") of people who also waited through the coming and going of two buses before the third bus finally had enough space to accommodate us. 
 
When I arrived at Oxford, the bus deposited me at the City Centre, where I caught a bus to the Spencer House, 182 Woodstock Rd.  The taxi driver had a bit of difficulty locating the house, but we finally found the gate entrance to the house, which was a welcome site indeed after 14 hours of travel!

 
 
The Spencer House is a wonderfully arranged home - very easy to feel at home in the setting.  I unpacked.  The setting is lovely - in a beautifully historic neighborhood called Summertown.
 
 
Spencer House
 
 

The view outside the Spencer House gate.  The house is located at the intersection of Woodstock and Moreton roads. 
 
My first day in Oxford was complete.  I got there safely, familiarized myself with the house, and the nearby streets and Summertown community.  Tomorrow, I'll head into the City Centre of Oxford to walk the downtown area and get to know where the critical landmarks are. 


3 comments:

  1. Great post. I look forward to seeing that side of the ocean through your eyes. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris! This place is incredible. I feel like such a gawking tourist, but as a history buff and student it is almost too much to take in.

      Delete
  2. If you want to study abroad study in Canada, Study in New Zealand ,Study in Singapore college/ university from Canad you have to select the appropriate institution and know the exact process. Abroad Shiksha Consultants is an education consultancy assisting students who wish to study abroad. Visit Us: http://www.ascoverseas.com/

    ReplyDelete