Saturday, October 19, 2013

Week 1 - Reading, Writing, Walking, Reading, Writing, Walking...

The Michaelmas term officially started Sunday.  The pace of activity picked up and has not let up all week!  Sunday was spent doing reading, research, and writing for my first tutorial on Tuesday.  Like a lot of the tutors, she wanted me to submit the essay via email about 24 hours before we met, so she could have time to review it prior to our discussion. 

This is my desk in my room at the Spencer House.  The pile of books all came from the Social Sciences library, about 2 miles from the house.  No bus service, so I end up walking.  Did I mention we walk a lot in Oxford?
 
Monday was more writing and editing of my first essay.  Final word count, 2464.  Also attended a lecture in Sociocultural Anthropology.  As a student at the University of Oxford, you can attend any lecture whether a part of your discipline or not, as long as there is space in the lecture hall. 
 
Tuesday had my first social policy tutorial with my half-tutorial tutor, Funda Ustek.  When we attend as visiting students, we have to choose a combination of full and half tutorials. (The Brits don't use a credit hour system at Oxford and Cambridge.) A full tutorial equals about 9 credit hours, or 3 U.S. courses.  You meet for an hour, once a week for eight weeks to discuss your research and essay of 2000-3000 words.  A half tutorial is about 3-4 credit hours, so 1 U.S. course. You meet every two weeks for a total of four times, and discuss your essay and research.  She was happy at my choice of using the Elizabethan Poor Laws to discuss the origins of means-tested social policy.  We talked a lot about the history of social policy and the dynamics of the three types of welfare regimes in Europe and the U.S.
 
After our meeting, I attended another lecture on anthropology.  FYI, this lecture was held at the Pitt Rivers Museum - world famous for archaeology and anthropology. 
 
Then, guess what?  Back to the house to do reading and writing for my next tutorial on Friday.
 
Wednesday... reading and writing.  There is a repetitive pattern to this process!  I also received an invitation to tea at the home of my tutor Dr. Finlay and his wife Kath on Saturday afternoon.  In the evening I attended my first choir practice for the Christ Church College Choir.  (I had signed up to participate during Freshers Fair last week, and I passed my audition.)  It was dark by the time I got to Christ Church College, so I hope to post pictures taken at another visit.  Truly one of the most stunning facilities I've ever seen.  The cathedral is incredibly beautiful.
 
Thursday was more writing, then editing, then sending off my first political sociology essay to Dr. Finlay to have prior to our first tutorial meeting tomorrow.  I never knew I could read and write so much in a short time.
 
Friday - my first political sociology lecture, at the Exam School on High Street.  After a quick lunch on the run, I had my first tutorial with Dr. Finlay at Harris Manchester College on Mansfield Rd.  He was very engaging.  He spent a lot of time discussing the readings with me and ensuring that I had a comprehensive grasp of the material.  Then we discussed the first essay.  Overall, a good first try :)
 
Saturday, was .... MORE reading.  Articles and a new book from the Social Sciences library (walked the 2 miles again).  Then I rewarded myself for all my hard work this week by taking a "highlights" tour of the Ashmolean Museum.  I think I could live inside that place if they let me.



The top photo is an Italian Renaissance Painting; the bottom is Japanese pottery from the Meiji Period.
 
Saturday afternoon was spent taking the 16A bus from St. Algate's in front of Christ Church College to the home of my tutor and his wife.  They were tremendously gracious, and Mina (a fellow visiting student) and I had a lovely time getting to know them both.
 
Took the #2 bus back to the Spencer House, and made a quick market trip to M & S (Marks and Spencer) in Summertown to get some groceries just before they closed.  Now, time heat my dinner, make some tea and start reading my next research book.

No comments:

Post a Comment